Thursday, August 09, 2007

Pittstown Point, Bahamas

0 nm
Wind: SE 15-20 knots, four-foot swell in anchorage from S

Last night, a guy from town named Andy came by to visit us, and invited us out to his restaurant, the Seaside Restaurant, for dinner. When he saw we were eating pizza, he said we could show his wife how to make pizza--they’ve been trying to figure it out. He said they have pizza pans, tomato sauce, and mozzarella cheese already. We told him he didn’t even need mozzarella, that we don’t use it, nor do a lot of pizzerias in the States. It’s kind of a fun idea and both Karl and I have been looking forward to it. We can get to know some other people in the community, and I can meet a woman. I always have a hard time meeting community women. They’re often a lot less in evidence, or a lot less social to cruisers, than the Bahamian men are.

We had a great talk while Andy was over--I told him about this site, and he asked if I had advertising! It’s the first time I’ve been asked that! It’s not a bad idea, actually, I guess. He wanted me to guarantee a visitor every week, though, and I’m sure my poor li’l old website couldn’t do that. But I’d love to post links to the websites of everyone we meet, even if for completely free. It’ll take internet access, though, which remains elusive. I thought for sure we’d be able to get it at Pittstown, but they’re closed for the season now, and though their wireless network is up, no one knows the password. Very frustrating.

I showed Andy copies of Cruising World and Latitudes and Attitudes classifieds, too. If he really wanted to advertise, that would be the place to do it. I told him he should become a Lats & Atts harbor hangout, so maybe I can set that up for him and his wife. They allegedly have internet access down at their restaurant, so I’m hoping that I can update the website tonight. BaTelCo is notorious for being down, though, and Andy said that their internet had been down for a week or so. So who knows.

I’m finding everything frustrating, actually. My article isn’t getting anywhere. It seems like it just gets hotter and hotter and rollier and rollier and I get angrier and angrier. I’m even to the point where I’m beginning to resent Karl going to land every day. So much for my room of my own.

No comments: