Sunday, November 12, 2006

Sandy Hook, NJ

Wind: N 5-10 knots

So I'm sitting in a little cafe called the Indulgence Cafe, using their wireless, for the first time since we've been sailing, drinking some coffee, and pissing everyone in here off. I came in, plopped down, opened up my computer, and ordered a coffee. That's what you do in wireless coffee shops, right? But evidently they close at three, in exactly 49 minutes, and I also have to order something in order to use the wireless. The waitress has been over three times to ask if Karl is coming over to eat (he came in to get change--he's doing the laundry at the laundromat across the street), I haven't gotten a refill on my coffee, all the waitresses going off duty are obviously sweeping and doing fillups around me, and still, I don't care. I need the internet! I need contact with the outside world!

What's awesome is that we finally got showers. It cost us $25 ($15 for use of the facilities and a $10 deposit), but still. We're in rather an urban area, the Atlantic Highlands, NJ, and I'm shocked by how much everything costs. I'm also shocked by just being around people again. It's very bizarre. I'm not quite sure how to deal with them.

I guess that's all I have time for. I better order something before the waitress shoots me. That would be a very anticlimactic ending to my journey. I'll try to post some pictures if I can find the time.

2 comments:

Marie said...

I can't believe you're doing this. You're amazing.

Rand said...

Reports thus far have been awesome. Thanks for sharing your adventurous tale. Looking forward to more!

Happy sailing!