Friday, August 05, 2011

Nocturne

It’s 1:04 in the morning and a Quebecois movie is on Canadian television about a six-year-old Catholic boy given the ability to heal people. I’m listening to Chopin as I read French subtitles. My garden was hit by hail this week, the day after I posted all of those pictures, which was depressing to the point that I haven’t been out there lately. My chard has immense amounts of tiny little holes in it. The plants that have fruit are less wounded, but it’s still tough to face.

The frustrating thing is that I’ve been meaning to harvest the chard for weeks now. I knew it was edible ages ago, but I was distracted by massive quantities of radishes and turnip greens and radish tops. It’s a good problem to have, a problem I wouldn’t have expected to have even in March of this year. I didn’t realize how much of the task of a garden is keeping up with the harvest and finding ways to cook and eat things. My grandma always made sauteed chard to go with her meat and potatoes, but I don’t cook meat and potatoes that often. Today I had holey sauteed chard for dinner. With macaroni.

I’ve been reading my little boat notebook again, never a good sign when I’m looking for stability. I read this notation today: I can tie a bowline now!! 7-7-07

Except I can’t. Try as I might, that knowledge has slipped away from me. I can’t get the rabbit to go around the tree and into its hole. I know I could look it up, relearn it, but I keep expecting the knowledge to magically reappear. I guess I’m learning new things, that chard is still delicious with holes poked in it, and how to eat it with pasta and horseradish cheddar. Time moves on. The past slips away, and its lessons go with it.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

Swiss chard is definitely not always the easiest thing to be creative with.. here's my favorite dish with chard: http://www.realsimple.com/food-recipes/browse-all-recipes/chickpeas-with-chard-and-pan-roasted-tomatoes-00000000052622/index.html

Enjoy!

wfrenn said...

The bowline is as difficult a knot as it is handy. Though I an do it with my eres closed, I have to be at a certain angle to the line, or I can't do it, something which is not always easy to do on a boat.

Hope K got my message. Maybe he could email privately! What say you?

The Capt'n

Melissa Jenks said...

Thanks for the chard recipe! I must have missed it earlier on. Looking forward to trying it out!

I know the bowline requires practice, but the only knot I tie these days is in the dog leash. I did pass on your message...