Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Georgetown, Exuma, Bahamas

0 nm
Wind: E 15-20 knots, gusting to 25 in thunderstorms overnight

Another day spent doing nothing, lounging on the boat, stalled by thunderstorms that sweep down over us. Nothing to do but read, write, and dream. I’m still hoping beyond hope we can get out of here, at long last, on Friday--I listen to the weather four times a day, starting at 5:30 in the morning. I go back to bed, of course. I’m not that brave yet.

It’s frustrating, in some ways, but in others it’s nice to have another enforced furlough. We’re talking a lot about our moneymaking prospects, which, to be honest, are slim. An option is always putting up the boat and flying back to the States for a little while, but it seems like admitting failure. I’m convinced we can make a living out here, we’re just the world’s worst salespeople. Karl could make a fortune just doing electronics on boats. How to get into that niche, though? That’s the problem.

Our breakfasts become more elaborate, and later, by the day. Today was scrambled eggs with cheese, onions, garlic, and peppers, with an oat-bran bagel. I had resolved to reduce my coffee consumption to a cup a day, after seeing the ungodly cost of coffee around here, but that resolution has fallen by the wayside. I was unable, once again, to convince Karl to play cards, but he did pull out his sketch pad for the first time in forever. I’m convinced he could make a fortune if he started drawing picturesque sailboat and sunset scenes, too, instead of people tearing out their eyes. But who am I to compromise his artistic vision?

So our plans our moved back, again, until tomorrow. Hopefully the rain won’t pour down and overwhelm us once more. The coolness of the weather is nice, though, the wind whisking through the boat. I even love the thunder rumbling in the distance, and the rain pounding on the hull, even the odd drop plashing through the cracked forward hatch. It’s all beautiful.

No comments: